Storyboarding, Digitising and changing the story.

This week I really concentrated on digitising the book and really trying to make a lot of progress. Same as the last few weeks I have just been storyboarding and digitising. I also have been playing around with the story. I think I am going to make it rhyme. As you have seen in the last couple of blog posts I had rhyming stanzas. I was just testing them out, but I prefer how they look.


Screen Shot 2016-05-18 at 13.53.37.png


Screen Shot 2016-05-18 at 13.54.20.png


Screen Shot 2016-05-18 at 13.54.32.png


Screen Shot 2016-05-18 at 13.54.39.png


Starting to come together

I wanted to start illustrating the next few spreads in the order they would appear in the book to give myself a better idea of where i am at. The first spread here is the breakup scene between Sirena and Aquarius. Next we have the first scene with them as adults and the first scene Cecelia appears on. The third spread is important this spread really introduces Cecelia and what kind of person she is I wanted to portray her as adventurous.


Screen Shot 2016-05-18 at 13.52.22.png


Screen Shot 2016-05-18 at 13.52.39.png


Screen Shot 2016-05-18 at 13.53.24.png

More Digitising

This week I really got into digitising the book. After getting to grips with digitising and storyboarding spreads over the last couple of weeks I began to get a lot more work done. Once again I took my time storyboarding each scene so that when I brought it into illustrator I could digitise it immediately.


Screen Shot 2016-05-18 at 13.43.20.png

The scene you see above is the scene in which the mer Princess meets the human boy for the first time. I took my time with this scene as this is an extremely important one in the book and I wanted to make sure I was fully happy with it.



Screen Shot 2016-05-18 at 13.46.58.png

The scene you see above here is when the mer Princess returns home and her father is mad that she went to the surface. Again, I tried to make the storyboard as perfect as possible so that it would aid me in digitising the actual spread.

Digitising Another Spread

I decided to keep working away at the spreads. A scene I was keen to get going on was the scene in which the Mer Princess saves the Surfer(Zach) from a shark attack. At first I had difficulty sketching the body shapes of the two in the water. I used human models to act out the scene in order to capture the shapes of their body’s as best as I could. This technique proved extremely helpful in the end.


I then completed the storyboard of this spread in order to digitise it. In my storyboard the Shark looks a lot scarier than in the actual digitised version, I want to fix this as I feel he looks a little happy in the illustrated spread.

Screen Shot 2016-04-06 at 3.56.32 p.m..png

Screen Shot 2016-04-06 at 3.26.23 p.m..png

Storyboarding/Digitising Teen Scene

This was a scene that was originally going to appear in the book from last semester. I used this particular scene as my prototype back in January. However, my illustration style and characters have changed a lot so I decided to revamp this scene and include it into my project.

Screen Shot 2016-04-06 at 3.56.09 p.m..png

Again I have not included text in the digitised version of the scene, I am extremely happy with the outcome compared to my original prototype. There will also be slight changes and improvements made to this scene, before the book goes to print. I want to place more texture on the sand and put shadows where the two characters lie.

Screen Shot 2016-04-06 at 3.26.13 p.m..png

Storyboarding and Digitising the book(cont)

Next I chose to add a page that was not originally in the book, I felt the book with flow a lot better if I added this page. The addition of the page also slightly adjusted the story. It is based just after the two meet as children they bond and make a discovery. Again, I tried to complete the storyboard to a high enough standard to input directly to Illustrator and begin to digitise.

Screen Shot 2016-04-06 at 4.00.40 p.m..png

Screen Shot 2016-04-06 at 3.26.03 p.m..png