Once I was finished all my experiments I decided to again draw her in all different angles to get a sense of what she will look like from the side and back, this will aid me in illustrating the actual book later on.
It was a long process from start to finish designing this particular character. Being the first one to be designed it would be as I had to decide on style, features and effects. The rest of the characters should not take as long as they will follow characteristics of this one.
So, I have my character designed as well as colour palette. As I wanted my style to still look quite sketchy while digitised I decided to play around with different effects on Illustrator.
This particular effect is called Neon Glow I thought it was really cool, I wanted to try is as I thought It would look really good as she is a JellyFish and the glow would add a lot to it, However the effect completely changed the colour of the character, therefore making it unusable plus I want to go for like I said a more sketchy effect.
This effect here is actually two effects, one being the neon glow and the other being a rough pastel effect, The pastel effect gives it a sketchy look but again the neon glow completely changed the colour of the image.
Here we have an effect called plastic wrap I think its a really nice effect, but just not quite what I am looking for.
This here is the rough pastel effect on it’s own, This is my favourite one and I think it really captures what I am going for. Below is a close up just to get a better idea of what it looks like.
Now that My character was digitised and I had already experimented with some colour I decided on the final colour palette for her. She would have beige skin, brown hair and purple attire (different shades of purple). I also distorted the outline around her to give her the sense of being an unfinished drawing, I also made use of all the cross hatching I seemed to do during the sketching phases of designing her and I really like the effect it has.
Once I completed my drawing I scanned the image into my computer, imported the picture to Adobe Illustrator and began to trace the sketch with the use of the pen tool. Once I had the basic outline I began to experiment with colours. It was fun to do this and see what way she looked with different colours. I prefer her with more human type skin so I don’t think I will be giving her skin like you see in the last two images in the picture above.
I will be completely honest I am not really in love with any of the colour options above so I think I will definitely keep experimenting with some more colours for sure. It was really good to do this though as it allowed me to see what I don’t like or what I don’t think will work.
Trying to incorporate all the recent sketches I have been doing I wanted to come up with the final design of my main character. I had done different sketches of hair, torso’s and different types of JellyFish and I had previously decided on what the facial features would look like. I also sketched up a finished face that I was extremely happy with. Below you see the design I came up with I am very happy with the turn out and I think the drawing is at a standard where I feel comfortable enough to digitise the character as I do not like to go anywhere near digitising a character until I am fully happy with the drawing I have done.
Just quickly wanted to show the different tops I sketched up for my main character I wanted her clothes to be extremely basic, modern and something that was timeless. Again modern like the hairstyle but not so on trent to todays styles. As you can see very basic items of clothing and I think I would just like to go with something like the T-Shirt.
Once I was happy with the look of my main characters face I wanted to draw her in different angles as i feel it will aid me when I am illustrating the actual book to know what she looks like from the side and behind. Again just sketched the different angles up side by side.